Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The One Year Bible & Blogging

I'm reading again this year through the NIV One Year Chronological Bible, only this year we are reading together as entire church and student ministry. It has been really neat to all be on the same page and have the opportunity to learn, discuss, and grow together. To help the students hear what we are learning and also hear from them, the Student Ministry started a Student Blog here. Last week they asked me to say a little something on my thoughts from my reading that week. Below is my entry, and to see more from other staff members go to http://www.bellevuestudentsblog.org/.


So we are six weeks into reading the Bible chronologicall in a year. How are you doing so far? I'll be honest - I was a couple of days behind last week, and I started to become discouraged. Instead of throwing myself a "pity-party," I decided to pick my Bible back up and read the next entry. I'm so glad I did, because that day's reding was on God sending manna and quail in Exodus 16...

Remember that the Israelites just witnessed God send the plagues, divide the Red Sea, and deliver them from the harsh hand of Pharoah. They are a mere six weeks into their journey now (about as far as we are too), but they forget what they were saved from, and the entire community begins complaining...a lot. They want water and food, and despite their grumbling and complaining, God is gracious and merciful.

God says to Moses, "I have heard the grumbling of the Israelites. At twilight you will eat meat, and in the morning you will be filled with bread. Then you will know that I am the LORD your God." (Exodus 16:11-12)

What do we see about God from these verses?
  • God hears us. He hears our every word and thought (Psalm 139:1-4). This truth can at times be comforting or convicting.
  • God is our Provider, Jehovah-Jireh. When the Israelites left Egypt, they were in a situation where God had to intervene. They could not survive without God. In each situation, God proved to be faithful.
  • God wants us to know Him and rely on Him. Why did the Israelites have to gather manna every day? Couldn't they gather enough in one day for the entire week? (Exodus 16:19-20) Just as the Israelites had to daily gather bread to feed their physical body, we must gather "bread" to feed our spiritual body (Matt. 4:4; Matt. 6:11).

Although I missed a couple of day's readings in my Bible, God reminded me that it is a privilege to sit at His feet each day, praying and reading His Word. I cannot survive without Him, and I need His guidance and provision each day. Be encouraged! God is faithful, true, Provider, gracious, merciful, and longs to meet with you each day.

Have you gathered your "bread" today?

~Jennie


No comments:

Post a Comment