Are you excited yet about the 2012 London Olympics? Sunday night I began watching the gymnastic, track and field, and swimming semi-finals. Now I can't wait for July 27th when the games begin!
During the swimming semi's, I was drawn into the meet as a 45 year old competitor approached the pool. With 20 years old as the average age of the female swimmers vying for a spot on the Olympic team, qualifying as a 45 year old is no small feat. Dara Torres, 5-time Olympian, performed well that night finishing second and making it to the finals on Monday night. The commentators discussed one of her secrets...Torres purchased a starting block for five thousand dollars for personal use in her home pool. Why? Because she knew from experience that starting well is crucial to finishing well. She gave her all in every second of the race, including the first.
Isn't this true in our lives as well? As a Christ-follower, wife, mom, student, and employee I desire to run the entire race with zeal and endurance. What would the result have been if off the starting block Torres took her time? With only tenths of a second between her and the other swimmers, she would not have qualified for the finals if she had not given it all she had at every moment. May I approach this day with the same vigor, determination, and focus.
"You've all been to the stadium and seen the athletes race. Everyone runs; one wins. Run to win. All good athletes train hard. They do it for a gold medal that tarnishes and fades. You're after one that's gold eternally." 1 Corinthians 9:24-25 (The Message)

So true!! Love this...thanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete