1. I mentioned in my "Things I Learned" post from last month that I love movies that are true stories. This one rocked my world...My mom rented "The Impossible" and we sat down with my grandmother to watch (so glad I wasn't alone). At moments I caught myself holding my breath, closing my eyes, and at one point I got up to check on Liam because I needed a break. You're probably wondering why I would even suggest that you watch it? Because I'll never read about a tsunami or natural disaster again without getting on my knees and praying right there for those affected by it. And because I learned to always be grateful for each moment I get with these precious ones:
2. I learned that not only do I enjoy the sermons and writings of C. H. Spurgeon, but those of his wife as well. Susanna Spurgeon has written devotionals which are included in this book along with her biography. Both have been bringing conviction and inspiration to my life this month.
3. Did you know I have the best neighbors? Yep, I learned that this month, but not exactly the way I would've planned. You see, we had a random five minute "storm" with strong winds come through Cordova one afternoon, and it cut our bradford pear tree in half. Within minutes neighbors from four different homes on our street were helping me cut up the tree, move the heavy limbs, and helping Liam and me get safely inside the house. So thankful.
4. Memphis' downtown IS really awesome. Our favorite in town date nights have been to downtown spots, and we have significant memories there (like the time he proposed!). But I realized this all over again when we visited Jackson, MS last weekend to see the guy in the pic below marry his beautiful bride. Jackson, I loved you when I lived on your soil several years ago, but you have GOT to do something with your downtown. It's the pits. {But the church and reception venue for the wedding were beautiful, historic, and a perfect choice.}
5. During the weekend of wedding mentioned in #4 I learned I love traveling with friends to celebrate friends getting married. It was such a joyous, worshipful, and encouraging time with sweet people that are dear to my heart. I cherished the time that I spent with my one and only that weekend as well. Here we are in the coolest-wedding-favor-ever shades at the reception:
6. This amazing girl spent the summer in China, and over stuffed french toast breakfast Thursday she taught me so much. God has been and is doing BIG things in China, and I'm so grateful for Hanner and her heart for people to come to know Christ. She established relationships with other students, discipled girls, shared the Gospel in unreached people groups, and even got to baptize one of the girls she discipled. God is using college students all over the world this summer...unbelievable stories...only things He can do...He is so good. {Ways to pray for China here.}
This post is linked up with Emily at Chatting at the Sky. I'm grateful for Emily's inspiration and that I now can put onto "paper" what I've been learning and experiencing in life. What have you been learning this month?



Great post! I have always wanted to visit Memphis.
ReplyDeleteStopping by from Emily's.
Earlier this year we moved into a small court in a quiet neighborhood and I am LOVING our neighbors! It is such a joy to love who you live by!
ReplyDeleteWe also just watched Impossible this past week. We had my son watch it with us. I agree I will now look at the news of a natural disaster differently and do a better job of praying for those affected. It also made me wonder if I had what it takes to survive against all odds.
ReplyDelete