Sunday, July 28, 2013

Fireplace Makeover

For a few years now I've wanted to paint our fireplace, and I've always loved the look of painted brick. Will was going out of town soon to summer camp, so I saw it as a perfect opportunity to get a new project started. Two nights and two coats of paint later, I had a fresh-faced fireplace. 

{A before picture complete with toddler fireplace protective cushions.}

First, I cleaned the brick with a mixture of half water and half white vinegar. Once I sprayed the cleaning mixture on to the brick, I used a wire brush to knock off the dust and dirt. I had no idea how dusty a fireplace could get! I went over it twice and then waited for the brick to dry before taping off with the painters tape. Also put up poster board to protect the inside from paint mis-haps. The inside was already painted with a black heat-resistant paint, so that saved me a step.

With Lowe's gift card in hand (thanks family!) I bought a gallon of Valspar white latex paint in satin (and also scored a rebate by buying from Lowe's). I bought a gallon so I would have enough to paint our trim in the living room and kitchen, and I ended up only using about one-third of the gallon. The first coat went up with a brush and LOTS of paint - the brick soaked up the paint like a sponge. If I did it again, I would've used an old brush instead of new because as I got into the cracks it tore the brush up a bit.

 {After the second coat. Mantle is the same color.}

{Before & After}

I'm loving the newly painted fireplace. It makes the room seem a bit brighter, and makes it feel cleaner as well. Now maybe I can convince will to paint the exterior bricks of our house?! 

No comments:

Post a Comment