Thursday, January 10, 2013

2012's Reading List

If you know us at all, you know we love to read! I like to read some classic and some new, little fiction and a lot of non-fiction. Here are the books that made my list for 2012 {Click on the title for links to the books &/or blogs.}:

Parenting (since I am a new mom, these make up a majority of last year's list):

The Power of a Praying Parent: Book of Prayers by Stormie Omartian
{I believe praying God's Word is powerful, and this book gives scripture everyday to pray as well as space to write out your prayer for your child. Small enough to fit in your pocket!}

Loving the Little Years: Motherhood in the Trenches by Rachel Jankovic
{Rachel is a mother of 5 who gives such a great perspective on everyday joys and challenges. A quick read too!)

Bringing Up Boys by Dr. James Dobson
{A must read for moms of boys!!!}

What to Expect the First Year by Heidi Murkoff
{I read this cover to cover like I was studying for an exam. Vital info for that 1st year and beyond! Also an informative blog here.}

Your Baby's First Year Week by Week by Glade B. Curtis
{Another great first year resource for that first year. Written weekly instead of monthly like the one mentioned above.}

Spiritual Warfare

Reclaiming Surrendered Ground by Jim Logan
{Protecting your family from spiritual attacks. "Your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walks about, seeking whom he may devour" (1 Peter 5:8). Wish I had read this one years ago.}

Autobiography

Best When Broken by Scott Coleman
{Scott is a good friend of ours and was our first sunday school teacher after we married. His story is inspiring, challenging, and encouraging. Our God is so good!}

Ministry

10 Things Every Minister's Wife Needs to Know by Jeana Floyd
{Very practical advice about marriage, stewardship, faith, and prayer. Another quick read!}

Prayer

A Praying Life by Paul Miller
{Thoughts from what I learned I blogged here.}

Christian Non-fiction

No Greater Love by Mother Teresa
{The wisdom of Mother Teresa arranged by theme such as prayer, love, giving, holiness, and forgiveness.}

Treasuring God in Our Traditions by Noel Piper
{Great ideas on traditions to implement in your family for everyday, Christmas, and Easter.}

Loving God With All Your Mind by Elizabeth George
{I find myself having to implement what I learned through this book daily. Our minds shape not only what we think but how we believe and act. We must think on what is true and real and learn to trust God in all things!}

One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp
{I actually read this one in 2011, but it has made such a difference in my thought life and I have referenced it often this past year. Ann also has a blog where she writes almost daily and has incredible resources here.}

Grace for the Good Girl by Emily Freeman
{I started this book in 2012 and am still reading. I'm learning how to let go of my own unrealistic expectations and rely upon God's lavish grace instead...this book is helping. The link above is to her book and blog - both incredible.}

Christian Fiction

The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis
{Ephesians 6:11 says, "Put on the full armor of God, so that you may be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil." Lewis sheds light on how those "schemes" may take form in our daily life. I try to read this one at least every-other year.}

There are several more that I'm in the process of reading (meaning I was too eager to begin them before I finished the last one...there's a stack of 9 so far...ever had that problem?).  What was your favorite book that you read in 2012?


No comments:

Post a Comment