Monday, January 3, 2011

Middle School Winter Camp


I love camp...I say that a lot. Since I was in Middle School myself, camp (summer, fall, winter) has made a difference in my life, and I continue to enjoy it as a counselor today! There is great value in being able to get away from the routines, schedules, technology, and "normalcy" of life in order to seek solitude with the Lord; to have un-interrupted blocks of time to worship alone and with friends. We just returned from Middle School Winter Camp, and there is just so many good things to say about this week. I was co-counselors with Casey (Jr. in High School, first time as a counselor, and did an incredible job), and we had an awesome group of 10 7th and 8th grade girls in our cabin and family group. Montana Jones was the speaker, and I'm looking forward to going back through my (many) notes today - the Holy Spirit spoke boldly through Montana, and I'm so grateful for all the preparation he put into this time.
Hanging out with these students was a blast, and I think my favorite part was our family group times. A time of honesty, transparency, and brokenness as we shared what God was teaching us that week and how it applies to our lives...this is why I love camp. Lives were changed...and I'm anxious to see it lived out this week as we all return to our families, school, and work. Thank you, Lord, for an incredible week!

"But this I commanded them, saying, 'Obey My voice, and I will be your God, and you will be my people; and you will walk in all the way which I command you, that it may be well with you.' Yet they did not obey or incline their ear, but walked in their own counsels and in the stubbornness of their evil heart, and went backward and not forward." Jeremiah 7:23-24

My prayer is that the students and I obey the voice of the Lord and go forward not backward...
The unofficial theme of the week was "No Drama." We divided into teams and came up with names and mine decided to be the "Drama Llamas."
My husband is so cool.
The Drama Llamas won the puzzle competetion - putting a 500 piece puzzle together in 90 minutes while the box top was taped to the bottom of the table.

Love them!

1 comment:

  1. I agree Jenny! There is something so special about camp. I've seen how God has worked in my life as a participant and now as a leader through our camps. I think these opportunities for our kids are priceless!

    ReplyDelete